On August 26th, 2007, I plunged into the blogosphere by launching Economy of Style. I was a graduate student at that time seeking an outlet for my interest in style, an interest I didn’t feel I was allowed to have in my academic profession.
After 5 years of blogging, I’ve realized that I’ve gained more than an outlet. This blog has allowed me to do things that I couldn’t even envision back in 2007.
1. I’ve reached audiences I couldn’t imagine reaching. Economy of Style is read by people in over 100 countries. Being featured as one of the top 5 black fashion budget bloggers in the Atlanta Post as well as appearances on the NYTimes and other venues have introduced me to new audiences.
2. When I started this blogging journey, I saw myself solely as a consumer, but I’ve since had the opportunity to also become a collaborator with several brands. From invitations to review stores to opportunities to style items from stores, I’ve gained amazing insights into the industry of style and have always enjoyed sharing those with you.
3. This blog has helped me to think creatively about styling and restyling a small wardrobe. Series like Looking Back, Looking Forward, Fashion Thesaurus, and Fashion Mathematics, have pushed me to explore the styling possibilities of items in my wardrobe.
4. Blogging has linked me to communities beyond my local community. I’ve established communities with those of you who visit regularly, comment regularly, and blog as well.
5. This blog has sparked spinoff interests such as photography and graphic design.
Sleeveless chambray shirt—Old Navy (long sleeve version by ON)
Skirt—Dolce & Gabbana via swap (similar)
Pink blazer—H&M (similar)
Belt—Anthropologie ‘Gilt Elephant’
Earrings—Kendra Scott ‘Danielle’ (pink agate)
Watch—Michael Kors via TJ Maxx (similar)
Bangle—solid gold bangle via family
Shoes—Tahari (similar, similar)
All in all, blogging has been a rewarding journey. Thank you for being here!
Wow, 5 years is a long time to blog! I didn't even know about blogging until 2010!! LOL! Your blog is great, so keep up the great work and I love your outfit as always! You always look perfect from head to toe! Have a great day! xx Pip
That shows a lot of dedication, which is great, hopefully I go that long. You look gorgeous in that outfit too.
Wow!! 5 years! I want to be like you when I grow up! lol!! =D
Congrats on the things that you have accomplished, and I wish you luck on any new ventures that come your way.
I love the colors in this outfit. The addition of the pink blazer is the icing on the cake! Very cute!
Congrats on the five years. Love the layering here.
Congrats on 5 years… That is huge. Hope to see you grow even more
Happy 5th blog birthday!
Congrats on 5 years, that is an awesome accomplishment!
thanks for sharing your styling…….
congratulations!! Iam so proud of you and happy for your accomplishments!
To the next 5 years 🙂
Congratulations! i love your story, it's so inspiring as I began my blog as I began grad school as well! I wish you the best in the future Psyche 🙂
C’s Evolution of Style
WOW congratulations on your blog birthday! 5 years old that is crazy! way to keep it up!
love from San Francisco,
After just two years of blogging, I revere those who have stuck with it for five years. I'm very impressed and want to wish you the happiest of blogiversarys!
Congratulations! I can understand why you started your blog, as I am on the same exact boat. Grad school can be alienating and atomizing, and blogging definitely opens the door to building community. Thank you for all the inspiration, and here's to many more blogiversaries *raises champagne flute*
Another Anthro Blog
Congratulations! I don't comment as often but just want to say yours is a regular read for sure… cheers!:)
Congratulations on 5 years of blogging! You've achieved so much 🙂
Congrats on you 5 year anniversary! Cheers to many more.
Congratulations! It's really interesting reading about how blogging has provided both personal and professional opportunities for growth for you. Thanks for sharing!
Stumbled upon you on Insagram and now I hav a new blog to add to my favorites!