It seems like every day we get news about another brick-and-mortar store shutting its doors forever. So, it got me thinking, “is everyone shopping online except me?” I was fascinated, then, by a recent article by The New York Times exploring the retail transformation. I was so sure that I would encounter statistics confirming everyone else was shopping online. What I learned, however, was that in last quarter of 2016, only 8.3% of all retails sales went down online. So, it appears that most of you prefer to shop in-store too. Today, then, I’m sharing all the reasons I prefer shopping in-store.
5 Reasons I Prefer to Shop In-Store
1. I can immediately assess the look and overall quality of an item. I walked into J.Crew recently and was immediately drawn to today’s featured one-shoulder top. Now, I had seen this top online a ton of times before. It never caught my attention, though, until I saw its rich red color and intricate eyelet pattern in person.
2. I can try on several sizes to find the right fit. Is it just me, or are online reviews of items increasingly all-over-the-place? I prefer to just try things on and see for myself. And, I don’t want to order several sizes to do that. Online reviews of this top indicate it runs larger, but my usual size 4 fit perfectly.
3. I can get what I want right away. Waiting for an online purchase to process, ship, and then get to me is a waiting game I’d rather not play. I loved the convenience, for example, of finding and buying the Abstraction Maxi Dress featured in the Wish List to Wardrobe post and being able to wear it days later.
4. I can enjoy better in-store pricing. Most of the stores that I shop regularly offer the best discounts in-store. And, on the rare occasion that an online price is better, stores match the online prices.
5. I can avoid sunk costs like shipping fees. Many stores offer free shipping these days, but that perk often comes with strings attached. Maybe I don’t want to spend $150 just to have my items shipped for free.
So where do you stand? Do you prefer to shop in-store or online?
Location: Compton Hill Water Tower, St. Louis