Happy New Year! To style on a budget in 2012!
Polka dots were a huge trend last fall. We saw spots everywhere. I recently purchased a black and ivory polka dot dress on sale in Nordstrom Rack (sale: $54.97 | Orig: $138). It’s an ECI faux wrap dress with a blurred polka dot pattern.
I wanted to make sure that my love for this dress could outlast the spotted trend. So, I’m consulting the Fashion Thesaurus today to assess the versatility of this dress.
How to Wear a Polka Dot Dress:
1. Plain Dots
|Shoes—MICHAEL Micahel Kors via Macy’s|
2. Peak a Polka Dot. It’s easy to get bored with standout prints. In those times, I hide the print with chic coverups.
|Cardigan—H&M; Shoes—Adrienne Vittadini via Marshalls|
3. Dots and Dots. Print mixing using variations of one print creates amazing style opportunities.
|Black blazer tones down the bold print mixing|
4. Dots and stripes. Dots and stripes need not argue over their differences, but instead celebrate their compatibility.
5. Dots and Classic Colors. Red and yellow always accent black and white prints well.
6. Dots and Brights. I’m already ready to embrace spring brights. The bold orange, the bright yellow, the kelly green. Spring brights are the perfect toppers for polka dots.
Shopping for a Polka Dot Dress?
I’m currently head-over-heels for Banana Republic’s large polka dot dress. It is priced at $130. Banana Republic handed out coupons for 40% off new items though. I think I may use one of those coupons to get this dress because it’ll surely sell out.
|Banana Republic Large Polka Dot Dress, Size 4|